https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/Ejy3V3LBG8rgFzThRdiyU3KS9OPAzlUtd_jnUQDQZa4th2TWVTnRfVbkXt9cA1Da.nQg0v1wnoUhFkfqw (Passcode: r+e8&CKm)
https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/ygh9iaGZWbry_PU6pMkMKagom7rIQ7IFuhcY--x0OmIZoSY-fQYjguCcaW2O-sE.BUfEOojUgB92EGa_ (Passcode: mz$3$.Y4)
As we discussed during our introductory session, food is a personal & social activity that determines the what, when, how, why & who of our consumption or compulsion. The "what we ate" & "what we ate ate" determines the available nutrients to us, but first we need to look at our habits.
In this 1st assignment I'd like you to keep a "24 Hour Food & Drink What, When, Where, Why, with Who Log." [Really a 24-Hour Journal, because "nutrition" is more than what we chew or imbibe.]
Here's the experiment (an experiment of one, or N=1 experiment):
1) On a day of your choice, between 18-25 August, start counting down from waking, Time-Ø (T-Ø = When Wake), & see how long you can go just drinking water, mineral water, Topo Chico, tea, coffee, broth or clear soups (added salt, magnesium, potassium, butter, ½&½, coconut milk, heavy whipping cream OK for drinks).
2) Try to be specific about what you're consuming, e.g. ,cup of coffee with Half & Half, 16 oz beer, 1 cup of wine, 8 oz mineral water, 2 diet Cokes, 8 oz kale juice, large oatmeal bowl with 2 bananas, 8 oz soy milk, 8 oz sirloin bacon wrapped, etc.
3) Additionally, please annotate nap & sleep times, workout outs, walking, meditation, sun basking, TV, family time, and moods & feelings (hungry, angry, hangry [hungry & angry], tired, anxious, nervous, tense, relaxed, sleepy, body aches or pains, headaches, acid reflux, etc.)
The 24 Food Frequency Questionnaire (FFQ) approach is what many so-called nutritional studies are based on, except they don't keep a running log like you will, they rely on participant memory (sometimes up to a year back!) There are tracking apps for this, but as you can imagine this can consume a lot of time. We'll discuss continuous monitors and tests later on.
As promised here's the link to Dr Andrew Huberman: Huberman Lab.
Dr Joseph Mercola (11.8.2022) 25 Health Tips for 25 Years, —Glean from these health tips that I am most passionate about. They include natural ways to minimize disease risks without meds, how to build muscle in your later years and so much more, https://takecontrol.substack.com/p/25-health-tips
If you search "making magnesium water" on DuckDuckGo (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=making%20magnesium%20water&ko=-1&ia=web) you will find many recipes, usually based on carbonated water & unflavored Milk of Magnesia to make magnesium bicarbonate, which is a bioavailable form of magnesium (Mg due to its versatile atomic configuration comes in many forms with different therapeutic effects.)
Brooke Erickson (16.12.2016) Magnesium Bicarbonate Water Recipe, Nourish Thrive,
has a nice recipe. The article is very good except for the incorrect statement, "Magnesium bicarbonate is also very alkaline which helps to balance the pH in the body."
Here's her recipe, to which you can add sea salt and potassium citrate to round out the magnesium water into a "mineral water."
"What you will need to make your own magnesium bicarbonate:
• 1-liter bottle of carbonated water chilled. I recommend purchasing a soda stream or something similar and using distilled or reverse osmosis water. If you want to purchase carbonated water you can use plain seltzer water.
• Magnesium Hydroxide Powder - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GUOWEL8
• Small funnel
To prepare the water follow these steps:
1. Chill a 1-liter bottle of carbonated water. You want the water to be cold as it will mix and dissolve better.
2. Measure out 1 tsp of magnesium hydroxide powder.
3. Remove the bottle of carbonated water from the refrigerator. Open it slowly and carefully to minimize the loss of CO2. As soon as the initial fizzing settles down, use a small funnel to pour the magnesium powder into the bottle. Promptly replace the cap on the water bottle and shake it vigorously for 30 seconds or so, making the liquid cloudy.
4. After 20-30 minutes the liquid will have cleared, and any un-dissolved magnesium hydroxide will have settled to the bottom of the bottle. Again shake the bottle vigorously for 30 seconds or so, making the liquid cloudy again. Continue to do this over the next hour. When the liquid is clear after shaking then all of the magnesium hydroxide should have reacted with all of the CO2 to become dissolved (ionized) magnesium and bicarbonate. You may note that the sides of the bottle “cave in” when the liquid clears. This is a sign that the reaction is complete. If a small amount of un-dissolved magnesium hydroxide still remains in the bottom of the bottle as a sediment it may be ignored. It should be kept in the refrigerator.
This 1 liter of concentrated magnesium bicarbonate water will have approximately 1500 mg of magnesium and approximately 7500 mg of bicarbonate. Take 1/3 of the concentrate and add it to 1L of water. Start by drinking 4oz of the diluted magnesium bicarbonate water on an empty stomach over a 20 minute period twice a day. The magnesium bicarbonate is very alkaline so avoid drinking it with food because it will neutralize your stomach acid affecting digestion. Drinking too much at once can cause loose stools so you want to slowly increase the amount you are drinking up to 1L per day total in divided doses.
You can also purchase premade magnesium bicarbonate if you prefer a more convenient option. Here are two brands that I recommend:
The Live Pristine website has a nice write up on magnesium bicarbonate, but the more complete truth is that there are other magnesium combinations, e.g ., magnesium threonate, which can cross the brain-blood-barrier, that can be very useful. As always, do your own research and verification as you travel on life's bioindividual journey, —our personal Experiment of One (N=1 experiment.)
I highly recommend reviewing their web page on the reasons why cutting back on sugar(s) matters and signing up just to listen, after registering, to a short video by Florence Christopher on #bioindividuality. This video is a gem.
"Is your consumption of sugar out of control? Are you having a hard time saying no to chocolate, chips, fries, pizza and pasta, cookies and ice cream? You're not alone.
Claim your FREE TICKET to the 8th Kick Sugar Summit.
This summit features 60 world experts who will share the science and strategies you need to successfully reduce your consumption of sugar so you can lose weight and improve your health.
Prof Tim Noakes will be presenting on the fourth day of the summit! The event runs from Thursday, September 1 - 8, 2022, and you can get your FREE TICKET here: >>> https://www.kicksugarsummit.com/?ref=44608-Timothy-Noakes&track_al=3LxHKUJir4rKHGf3o5tFsJtj.
UPA Example: Muscular Energy & Organic Energy
Theme Example: Root to Rise
Root will require Muscular Energy like pulling muscles towards the bones and up or towards the focal point and down the legs. (If legs are the foundation) - This is the root part of the heart theme.
Rise requires Organic Energy like pushing out or stretching out through the torso or arms.
Heart Theme as Root to Rise - A pulsation- Musclar Energy & Organic Energy
(This requires two principles of alignment)
Watch this video:
Take this quiz:
Please submit with your synopsis a paragraph about the above as well. The quiz may or may not be your correct dosha but it will give you an idea about the concept.
Teaching Yoga: 9-43, 66-68, 73-74,110-120, 128-133
Finish the full text of Anatomy Trains.
Design a retreat schedule of your dreams & what the budget would be. Submit in word document.
Ujjai Breath (1 min)
UPA (one or two)
Theme of choice
Verbal & Hands on Adjustments on one person
Peak pose with demo is Bridge pose with our without props
Sequence is cut off at 15min sharp.
Record this sequence and upload to youtube. You must be teaching someone else in your video. You can edit in a voiceover if needed.
Sorry guys! You can be recording yourself and do a voiceover the video.